Excavations were carried out in 1910 by the Greek Archaeological Society and definitely confirmed the identification of the site as the Pnyx. Large-scale excavations were conducted at various times between 1930 and 1937 by H.A. Thompson, in collaboration first with K. Kourouniotes and later with R.L. Scranton. These investigations enriched our knowledge of the history and architecture of the Pnyx, as well as of the topography of the adjoining area.