It was built between 1839 and 1864, based on a study drawn by the Danish architect Cristian Hansen, who was also supervising the works in the beginning, to be followed afterwards by A. Theophilas and L. Kaftatzoglou. The wall-paintings on the facade were studied by the Bavarian painter Ral and executed by the Polish painter Lebietski. The construction expenses were carried out by King Otho, the sovereign of Serbia and Greeks from abroad.
In 1978 restoration works relieved part of its interior from various changes of past interventions. The roof was repaired in 1982 and part of the interior painting decoration was restored in 1984. In 1987 preservation and painting works on its facets took place. An amphitheater of modern standards has been constructed inside.