PIRAEUS MUNICIPAL GALLERY OF PIRAEUS
The Municipal Gallery of Piraeus was inaugurated in 1957 and began to function as a section of the Municipal Library in the building of the Municipal Theatre.
In 1985 it became an independent department and included 837 works, among which works by M. Axelos, K. Volanakis, P. Vyzantiou, A. Geralis, E. Doukas, D. Kokotsis, Th. Lazaris, N. Lytras, K. Maleas, M. Ekonomou, K. Romanides, A. Christofis, as well as works by many notable younger artists, among whom a special place is reserved for a considerable number of artists from Piraeus.
Also in the Municipal Gallery is the collection of 80 sculptures by George Kastriotis, a collection of 156 works by the popular artist St. Lazaros, as well as the collection donated by the famous Greek actor Manos Katrakis (theatrical costumes, photographs and theatrical material, personal belongings, etc.).
N. Lytras, "Sun-bathing", oil, 69x50 cm.